There is no question that motorcycles can be quite a bit of fun. With hundreds of thousands of motorcyclists on the road all over the U.S., being safe and aware is a must while on the road.
Unfortunately, the number of accidents and deaths associated with motorcyclists is much higher than passenger vehicles. In fact, motorcyclists are up to 26 times more likely to die when involved in an accident than car passengers.
Regardless of how careful you are while on the road, there is no way to predict the behavior of the other drivers who are also on the road. Even if you obey all the laws, you may still be involved in an accident due to the negligence of others. To help protect yourself while on the road with your motorcycle, there are five pieces of essential gear you should wear at all times.
- Helmet: According to the NHTSA the best way to reduce a fatality or injury while on a motorcycle is to wear a helmet. If you only wear one piece of safety gear while on your bike, it should be your helmet.
- Riding boots: The first part of your body that will hit the ground during an accident is your feet and ankles. This is why injuries to this part of the body are so common. You can limit the damage and injuries that occur by wearing quality riding boots.
- Gloves: The gloves will protect your hands since this is the part of your body that you will likely hold up when you fall. You can prevent quite a bit of damage and pain when you wear well-padded, thick gloves.
- Leather jacket: This will help to keep your muscles and internal organs safe by offering an extra layer of padding if you are involved in an accident.
- Neck collar: If you are wearing a neck collar, it will protect this part of your body.
If you are involved in a motorcycle accident, it is wise to contact an attorney to learn if you have grounds to file a lawsuit. If the accident was due to the fault or negligence of another person on the road, then you may be able to recover damages for the injuries that you received.
The best way to know for sure if you are entitled to these damages is to work with the team from Bautista LeRoy Trial Attorneys. They can investigate your case and ensure you get the monetary compensation you deserve.