When hunting season arrives, many people reach for their hang-on or ladder stands and head to the woods. Being in an elevated position gives hunters a “bird’s eye” view of their animal of choice. While this may seem like the ideal hunting position, using some of the most common brands of tree stands, such as Ameristep, also comes with serious risks.
In fact, there are thousands of people who fall from tree stands each year, many suffering serious injuries or even death. While there are tree stands that can be used safely, it is imperative to follow a few precautions to make sure injuries and accidents don’t occur. Also, pay attention to safety recalls since even one faulty stand component, such as the safety strap, can result in serious accidents and permanent injuries.
Tree Stand Safety Tips to Use
If you are planning on using a tree stand this hunting season, then you need to use the safety tips and advice found here. After all, tree stand safety is just as important as gun safety. Some tips that will help you remain safe and avoid any type of tree stand related accident include:
- Avoid using any drugs, sedatives or alcohol while using a tree stand.
- Check a permanent tree stand well before using it and replace any weak or worn components before it has the chance to break.
- Always wear your safety belt or harness while you are using or checking a tree stand.
- Inspect your portable tree stands for any loose bolts or components each time it is used.
- Carefully read and understand the manufacturer’s instructions when you are installing a ready-made tree stand.
- Use a haul line to lower and raise any equipment.
- When going up or down from the stand make sure to keep arrows covered in your quiver and firearms unloaded.
- Don’t rush to set your stand up.
- Be sure someone knows where you are and remain awake and alert.
Faulty Tree Stand Injuries and Lawsuits
Even if you follow all the tips and precautions listed above, there is still the possibility that you may suffer an injury while using a tree stand due to a faulty design or component. If this happens, you may have the right to file a lawsuit against the manufacturer to receive compensation for your injuries. It is a good idea to hire an attorney to review your case and determine if this is possible.
Hunting is an extremely popular pastime; however, if you aren’t careful, you may suffer serious injuries or even death. Being aware of the dangers of tree stands is the best way to protect yourself. It the unthinkable happens, make sure to hire an attorney for help.